Well done to everyone who took part in our #GuessThePenguin quiz for World Penguin Day. You all have great identification skills when it comes to these very handsome creatures!
We can now reveal the answers to the mystery penguins we posted on social media, but we didn’t want to ruin it for those who didn’t see it and still wanted to play the quiz, so we’ve revealed the answers at the bottom of this blog. Can you guess the penguin species just from looking at a photo?
1) CLUE: I live in a very surprising place where you may not know that penguins exist
2) CLUE: this penguin is named after the wife of the explorer who discovered it
3) CLUE: this penguin is named after a distinctive characteristic below its bill
4) CLUE: this is the largest penguin species in the world, reaching heights of over 1m and weighing up to 40kgs
5) CLUE: this amazing penguin can dive to depths of over 170 metres and is the fastest known diving bird, reaching speeds of up to 36 kilometers an hour in the water
6) CLUE: this is the smallest penguin in the world, weighing a maximum of 1kg and only growing up to 40cm tall
7) CLUE: this penguin was discovered during an expedition that took place in 1519
8) CLUE: this penguin is not named after a type of pasta, although it is commonly mistaken for the penguin that sounds like it is!
9) CLUE: look into the eyes of this penguin and you might just guess its name!
…and the answers are:
How many did you guess correctly?
If you work for a conservation organisation that works with penguins or any other species, you can access hundreds of images by joining the Wildscreen Exchange
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram to get your daily dose of the natural world